Saturday, September 18, 2010

Braised Pork Belly in Soy Sauce (Tau Yew Bak)


Since its the school holidays, my other half and I have been cooking up a storm. We just wanted to tickle and satisfy our taste buds with food which we have missed...ha!ha! This is another Asian dish which is a common dish for dinner during our childhood days.

Braised pork belly in soy sauce is a simple dish to prepare. Some cooks love to add in hard boiled eggs, soft or hard tofu and I have seen mushrooms being added into this dish too. I guess you can add whatever you like... :)  For my household, instead of white peppercorns, we prefer to use black peppercorns.  We bought some pork belly from our local market, cut it into pieces and marinate it with caramel dark sauce, soy sauce, honey, five spice powder and peppercorn for an hour. Then, I will fry my garlic, shallots, star anise and brown sugar in a pan.  Add in the marinated pork and stir-fry till for about 4-5 mins.  Add in some water, a little more caramel dark sauce, soy sauce and seasonings. Allow it to simmer for 45 mins to an hour. Add in the other add-ons (hard boiled eggs, tofu, etc) 15 mins before serving this dish.

How do we eat this? We can simple eat this with white rice or with steamed buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment