Sunday, September 23, 2012

Batu Lesung (Stone Motar)

We saw the batu lesung in one of our local supermart and we just had to buy it. This batu lesung brings back lots of fond memories of my childhood. I always hear the pounding of the batu lesung each morning when I wake-up. My Grandma and Grandaunt will be busy in the kitchen pounding rempah for the day's menu (lunch and dinner) and not forgetting the sambal belacan. If I run into the kitchen, I will see either my Grandma or Grandaunt sitting on a small stool on the floor and tumbuk (pound) away. I was taught to use the batu lesung when I was 5 years old and was often reminded that girls who know how to use a lesung properly will make a good wife...alamak!!!

I remembered when my Ma brought home a Philip food blender and tried to teach my Grandma and Grandaunt to use it instead of the batu lesung. Alamak...they sweared that only the batu lesung is the only tool which will produce the best sambal, the best paste, etc. However, I also remember that you need to know what pressure to use and how long you are required to grind the item.

And...lastly, it is very important to wash and dry the batu lesung properly after each use. My Grandma and Grandaunt will wash it with warm water and dishwashing detergent using a sponge. After that, they will dry it with a clean dry cloth. They will then cover it with another cloth and put it away.

Here's a photo of our batu lesung.


No comments:

Post a Comment