Friday, April 12, 2013

Hainanese Chicken Chop

We have been eating chicken schnitzel and chicken parma for a couple of weeks now and we are quite sian (bored) with it.  My other half was thinking of the Hainanese Chicken Chop which we were so in love with when we were in Malaysia.  So, we decided to try out hands on it after I made several phone calls to my darling Aunty.

Hainanese Chicken Chop is not from Hainan.  I don't think the Hainanese ever heard of this dish.  This humble dish originated from Malaysia and Singapore during the British times.  According to my Grandma, a lot of Hainanese become cooks, chefs, kitchen hands, etc during the British colonial days. These superb cooks / chefs came out with the own local version of the chicken schnitzel.  I remember the good old days when my cousins who studied overseas will come back and correct us all whenever we the children will beg our parent to bring us for "chicken chop" and these cousins of ours will say "No, No, No...its chicken schnitzel, silly" or "No, No, No....its called a chicken cutlet".  We really didn't care if its called a schnitzel or a cutlet...to us, its good old chicken chop and its really sedap (delicious).

Firstly, we crumb the chicken exactly like how a chicken schnitzel is crumbed. Then we proceed in making the potato wedges which we deep fried. Now..the sauce is the one which makes this dish special and it consists of tomato sauce, HP sauce, worchestershire sauce, oyster sauce, chicken booster, seasonings and lastly thicken it with cornflour solution.

Some people eat this with rice and some just eats it by itself.  Here's our humble Hainanese Chicken Chop.


We are so happy to watch our 2 kiddos enjoying themselves and asking for me.  This really brings me back to the good old days when I was just a kid like my 2 children and asking for more too....


No comments:

Post a Comment