Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Asian Cabbage Rice


I love cabbage rice...its something which is so simple and yet delicious. Whenever I mentioned this 1-dish meal to my friends, they will refer it to a South Indian rice dish. I was also very interested to know what's the difference between my version and the South Indian's. From what I can see, the South Indian version uses green peas, tomatoes, green chilli, cumin seeds, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander leaves. Wow...sounds delicious!  My humble cabbage rice which was passed down from one generation to the next is very very simple. The ingredients are garlic, fried shallots (to sprinkle on top of the rice), cabbage, fish cake and seasonings. Just stir-fry it in a wok and mixed it with "just cooked" white rice.  If there's lap cheong (chinese sausage) in fridge, I will just slice the lap cheong into pieces and add as a topping. My aunt who loves mushrooms will julienne it and stir-fry it together with the cabbage. I guess this 1-dish meal is pretty versatile. When my other half cooks it, he will add chicken or pork slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment