Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mee Goreng

Whenever I mentioned Mee Goreng, my friends tend to think its an Indian dish. However, mee goreng is a famous 1-dish meal from Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. Each race (Chinese, Indian, Malay and Eurasians) have their own version of this humble dish.

For me, I have my own version too which is passed down by my Grandma. I firstly prepare the mise-en-place which consists of garlic, shallots, fishballs/fishcakes, cubed potatoes, cubed chicken meat, beansprouts (taugeh), eggs and the sauces (dark sweet sauce, chilli paste, tomato sauce, chilli sauce, soy sauce and seasonings). Once I get my mise-en-place, its cooking time. Heat up the wok with some oil, and fry the garlic and shallots till fragrant. Add in potatoes, fishballs/fishcakes, cubed chicken meat and goreng (fry) till the meat is cooked. Add in the yellow noodles, fry for a minute or two, make a well and add in the eggs.  Scramble it and mix it with the noodles. Add in the sauce and lastly the taugeh.  Serve it hot (that's the best) and top some fried shallots, a squeeze of lime and red chilli.

Here's a photo of the mee goreng we had tonite....


One word... S E D A P !!!

Oh...before I forget, remember the soft buns which I made...its still pretty soft today!!! :)

Till next time....

Happy cooking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment